What is Pride? How do you define pride in your own life? Where does pride come from? What is the difference between pride and confidence? Can pride be beneficial? Can pride cause us to misplace our other priorities?Is it good to be proud of doing “good” things?How can I remove pride from my life?
Discussion 1/19: Pride?
What is Pride:
- How do you define pride in your own life?
- a feeling we have about ourselves
- a relative ranking of where we stand compared to everyone around us
- how well we think we are doing in life
- Where does pride come from?
- Our accomplishments
- Compliments we receive
- Looking in the mirror
- Finding fault in others
- Comparing myself to others
- What is the difference between pride and confidence?
- Confidence is something you think you can do
- Pride is something you “know” you can do
- Can pride be beneficial?
- pride in my country/school/heritage
- Can pride cause us to misplace our other priorities?
- Eg: beating up a Virginia Tech fan because we have UVa pride
Is it good to be proud of doing “good” things?
- Should I help the homeless, if i am only helping them so others will think i am a good person?
- What matters the most? Our outward Actions? Or our motivation for the good deed?
How can I remove pride from my life?
- Stop hanging out with prideful people (even in doing this we are judging them as prideful and thus ourselves as better than them for not being prideful “Screwtape Letters” by CS Lewis touches on this ).
- Break our mirrors
- Hang out with people better than ourselves to humble ourselves
(still comparing) (ie: study with those smarter, work out with those stronger)
- Realization that all things (good and bad) are from God and that we actually did nothing to earn them
[While this is all nice and fuzzy, how do we actually do this on a daily basis?] (whenever we receive a compliment, say out loud in response that it was God’s work)
- Traumatic events putting perspective on world and show us how small we really are
- How do you encourage others with your own accomplishments without being prideful?
- Rather than being proud of something you have done, what if you were grateful to God for allowing you to be used to do a good thing?