How much money would it take for you to say that you have enough and didn’t want anymore? What do you sacrifice to get money? Should I donate money? Does it matter that the only reason I’m giving is to make myself feel better? and not because I want to see other’s better off? Is money (one of) our god(s)?
Discussion 12/15: Money, What is it Good For?
How Much is Enough?
How much money would it take for you to say that you have enoughand didn’t want anymore?
- How much money would be enough to live on?
- Is there a difference between these two numbers?
How does peer pressure affect your desire to earn money?
- Bragging about making 6-12 figures
- Save money?
- When I was little I always wanted to be a millionaire
- Spend money?
- Guy down the street just got a new Escalade
What do you sacrifice to get money?
- Relationships (Friends, Romantic)
Should I donate?
Should I donate money?
- No, I worked hard for it
- Yes, anything that is more than I need
- Yes, but after I’m living comfortably
Is it alright to live comfortably when others do not?
Why should I give away the money I earned?
- If everyone would just work hard and take care of themselves, wewould all be fine
How much money should I give away?
Giving tests sincerity. If you don’t give up something dear(money), then how do you know you are sincere?
What is donating?
What counts as giving money away?
- Buying girl scout cookies
- Saving for my kids’ college tuition
- Giving to my local church
- Spending time doing community service
time = money, right?
Does it matter that the only reason I’m giving is to make myselffeel better? and not because I want to see other’s better off?
- Why give out of guilt?
- Does it make me feel better?
- Do I feel ripped off by my emotions?
Is it really MY money?
- How much of it did I earn?
- How much was given to me by:
- Family upbringing
- Good fortune to go to college
How do I know how wealthy I am?
- Compare myself other those with similar qualifications anddemographics
- Look at those in my surroundings
- Compared against the national average
- Look at the world average
The Importance to Me?
Is money (one of) our god(s)?
What about those people who work hard so that others can see theirmonetary/material gain?
What were some of things I wanted people to remember about mewhen I died? Was the amount of money I accumulated one of thosethings?
Should any of our goals involve money?
If you aren’t too sure what is important to you, watch were youspend your money.
Good Cents (Speaker Notes)
Pete Bullette, Chi Alpha Campus Pastor – University ofVirginia